ZR-1 ZR-1 ZR-1 ZR-1 ZR-1 ZR-1 ZR-1
Haibeck Automotive Technology
Description of Calibration BPPAG
Calibration description for BPPAG. Version 4.
The calibration generally increases torque and horsepower by 10 respectively. It also reduces power fadeout associated with engine compartment heat. The engine will be more powerful and the output will be more consistent as the engine thoroughly warms up.
The original equipment calibration is designed to protect the engine when 87 octane regular grade fuel is used. This calibration optimizes the knock control for fuel with 91 octane or more. Premium grade fuel is required.
- The ignition spark advance is increased 10% at all engine speeds. As a result, the advance at wide open throttle is increased by 3 over the stock calibration to 28 degrees.
- Both of the cooling fans are turned on at 205 degrees. Both turn off at 200 degrees.
- The fuel delivery at wide open throttle is about 6% rich in the stock calibration. The fueling is reduced by 3%.
- The stock calibration retards the ignition spark advance when the intake air temperature is over 90 degrees F. This is revised to 160 degrees and the amount of retard is decreased.
- The engine control system tends to sense false ignition spark knocks during fast throttle openings at lower engine speeds. This can result in a 10 hp power reduction for about a second after the throttle transition. To address this, the ignition spark timing knock retard is reduced by 50%.
- The CAGS (1 to 4 shift) is disabled. Also turns off the 1 to 4 shift lamp.
- The power key mode default is On.
$275 + $7 shipping in the USA. The cost is $225 if a calibration package is sent to us for an exchange.
To purchase, refer to the bottom of our Home Page by clicking Here.
The calibration can be customized for specific requirements. For customization details click here.
The performance calibration BPPAG is based on GM's latest release of the calibration for the '92 LT5 engine. GM calibration BPPA was released as a service part. Documentation that identifies the reason for the revision has never been located. I have observed two improvements with BPPA. Improved idle smoothness if the engine is using the AYWT calibration that the factory installed for the first quarter of the model year. BPPA reduces excessive engine speed when coasting to a stop with the clutch disengaged.
Installation procedure. Refer to pages 26 through 29 of the Calibration Presentation. It is very important to disconnect the power to the ECM for 10 seconds after installing a new calibration chip. As an alternative to the procedure in the Presentation, the negative battery cable can be removed for 10 seconds.